Reading Reflection No. 3
Book: Steve Jobs
1) You read about an entrepreneur:
The most surprising thing to me about Steve Jobs was his determination in the face of adversity. During his time at Apple as the CEO, his mental health began to deteriorate due to stress caused by problems with the board of directors. At one point, he was fired as the CEO of Apple, but he did not give up. Instead he invested in Pixar and helped grow it into the success it is today. After this he was reinstated as the CEO of apple.
The thing about Steve Jobs that I admire the most is his sheer intelligence. When it came down to business he know what customers wanted, and provided it to them, creating one of the most profitable company in the world today.
The thing about Steve Jobs that I admire the least is his sometimes unlikable personality. Steve Jobs expected a lot from his workers, and at time was rude to them. However, I think this was due to his desire to succeed.
From the earlier text, I gave an example of how Steve Jobs faced adversity, when he was fired as the CEO of Apple. But he did not give up. Instead he pursued other things and showed Apple what they were missing.
2) What competencies did you notice that the entrepreneur exhibited?
Steve Jobs was extremely intelligent not just at a business standpoint but also when it came down to technology. He made great decisions for his company and motivated his workers helping the company grow. He is someone who had the skills and talent necessary to run a billion dollar company.
3) Identify at least one part of the reading that was confusing to you.
The book confused me with how much they portrayed Steve Jobs as the main reason for the success of Apple. It seemed that the book did not give credit to the other people who supported the company.
4) If you were able to ask two questions to the entrepreneur, what would you ask? Why?
What do you think of Apple Today? I want to know his views on how the company is being ran today. Especially with their design decisions for the new iPhone and how they've sort of just been saturating the market with new phones every year.
How smart do you think you are? I want to know this because I ask myself the question time and time again. I want to see if he believed he was just inherently smart of if he gained knowledge from his experience.
5) For fun: what do you think the entrepreneur's opinion was of hard work? Do you share that opinion?
I believe that Steve Jobs would have thought that hard work is necessary for success. The book mentions of how Jobs forced employees to stay up working on products instead of sleeping. I agree that hard work is definitely necessary, but if there is a more efficient way of doing something while working less then why not do it.
Hey Czar, I personally am not a huge Steve Jobs fan, but I can't deny the fact that he had a brilliant and driven mind. I think that the reason the book presented Steve Jobs the way it did was because 1.) It was written at Job's request, and therefore it was in the author's best (financial) interest to make Jobs look good, and 2.) because Steve Jobs really was a brilliant entrepreneur. Apple could not exist in the capacity that it does today without Job's. Part of the reason that Jobs was able to be so hard on his workers was because they were are relatively replaceable pieces of the company, but ultimately, Steve Jobs was not.
ReplyDeleteI was about to read this book. I found it very interesting how the calligraphy class changed his life due to how how implemented the calligraphy simpleness and neatness to the concept of apple. Now people are addicted to simplicity and that is what makes apple the brand leader. I cant wait to get the epiphany in my life and implement it to my future ventures. I think that what made Steve Jobs so successful was his durability and persistency on the market. Do you know that the machintosh #1 was actually the Macintosh #327 that actually worked?
ReplyDelete