Growing Your Social Capital

Domain Expert:

1) Who they are and what their background is.
My uncle Mike, owner of a small taxi company.

2) Which 'slot' you are filling with each person (i.e., domain expert, market expert, supplier), and how the person fills the spot.
Domain expert: he has a taxi business that provides people with transportation much like what I am trying to achieve.

3) A description of how you found the person and contacted the person.
He is my uncle so I know him personally.

4) The nature of the exchange you have with the person -- what favor did they do for you? What is the return expectation? I asked him what he thought about my idea, and how he started his business.

5) How will including this person in your network enhance your ability to exploit an opportunity?
He is able to provide insight and give advice since he already has a business.

Market Expert:

1) Who they are and what their background is.
Josy is a college student at FSU.

2) Which 'slot' you are filling with each person (i.e., domain expert, market expert, supplier), and how the person fills the spot.
Market Expert: she is a college student which represents my main customer demographic. As well she currently uses many ride sharing apps such as Uber and Lyft.

3) A description of how you found the person and contacted the person.
She is a friend.

4) The nature of the exchange you have with the person -- what favor did they do for you? What is the return expectation?
I asked her about what she thought about my idea, and she gave me feedback much like past interviews. She believe that my service would be popular with many of her peers.

5) How will including this person in your network enhance your ability to exploit an opportunity?
Since she represents my customer basis, I can inquire her opinion to see what an unbiased customer would think.

Industry Supplier:

1) Who they are and what their background is.
Bill, an Uber driver.

2) Which 'slot' you are filling with each person (i.e., domain expert, market expert, supplier), and how the person fills the spot.
Industry supplier: he is an Uber driver, therefore providing Uber with work.

3) A description of how you found the person and contacted the person.
He was my Uber driver when I ordered an Uber to the mall.

4) The nature of the exchange you have with the person -- what favor did they do for you? What is the return expectation?
I asked him what his opinion on my idea was, and he said it would put Uber out of business in college towns.

5) How will including this person in your network enhance your ability to exploit an opportunity?
As an Uber driver I can ask him for opinions concerning drivers for my business.

Finally: Reflect. This experience requires you to do a little 'targeted networking.' How will this experience shape how you participate in any future networking events? Did this experience differ from your networking experiences in the past? How?

This experience was definitely difficult. I had to be very creative in finding a people to fill the spots. Since my business sector is very specific, I had a hard

Comments

  1. I never thought about an uber driver being a supplier. But you are correct, they are supplying the service. This assignment was difficult for me as well since they were very specific. The market expert I think should have been someone who has a business targeting college students though. They would be able to provide insight on how to market to this segment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its impressive how you managed to contact all of the three interviews for this assignment. I could not find anyone in the industry of selling artisanal handcrafts. I noticed you found new information for interviewing these people. I think that the future of any new business in a new industry would be moving around networking because you learn a lot about that. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I think you did a great job with this assignment. Bill the uber driver cracked me up, but talking to him was actually a great idea! I think the only misstep in your assignment was using Josy as your market expert. Although she's in the market, I think you would have been better off talking to someone who has experience advertising or selling to the target market instead. This way they would have been able to offer you advice on the market as a whole, not just one girl and her limited scope of peers. Overall though, I think you did really well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment