Celebrating Failure

1) Tell us about a time this past semester that you failed -- whether in this class, or outside of this class. Don't spare any details! It'd be even better if there was something you tried several times this semester, and failed each time.

A time during this semester that I failed was during the middle of the semester. I had a project due to for my Introduction to Computer Organization class. At the same time, I had multiple exams during the week and I promised my girlfriend that I would drive up to see her during her birthday. I knew before hand that the week would be busy and so I started my project early into the week and I finished early to turn it in. So I spent the whole weekend with in Tallahassee only to find out that I misunderstood the professor's specifications on how the project had to be completed. However, with only a few hours left before the project was due, I did not have enough time to change my project. I was very disappointed when the grades came back and I received a poor grade on the project.

2) Tell us what you learned from it.

The biggest lesson I learned from this experience was that even though you may have made precautions and finished assignments early, you should still have some sort of backup plan in case things go wrong.

3) Reflect, in general, on what you think about failure. Failure is hard, isn't it? It's embarrassing, sure, but it also means that we have to change something about ourselves. Talk about how you handle failure (emotionally, behaviorally). Finally, talk about how this class has changed your perspective on failure -- are you more likely to take a risk now than you were just a few months ago?

Failure is hard for sure. Especially when you're not used to it. Personally, I handle failure poorly. I overthink the failure and put myself down. I think about the things I could have done differently and how I was stupid for not doing them. But lately as I've matured, I learned that failure is just a part of life. Instead of dwelling in the past, I have begun to look to the future. 

Comments

  1. Long distance relationships were created by the devil himself, and I admire your dedication to keeping on alive. Good luck, man. On a different note though, I think the lesson you should have taken from this was to go to office hours. Although I've been lucky enough to never have experienced this, I have multiple friends who found themselves in the same situation you did. They either didn't understand a project prompt or a paper prompt, and although they put a lot of time in, it was for the wrong thing. Go to office hours. Ask questions. Clarify the assignment before you start, even if you think you know what they want. Hopefully you've been able to recover. I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Het Czar, I too was in a long distance relationship... but she was in Ecuador! I completely understand your situation, sometimes you just need to put yourself before the relationship! It was very hard for me to understand but hopefully I can help! I also misunderstood an assignment in MAN and because of me, the group missed a couple of points. Sometimes we fail to miss read instructions and it may hurt us a lot because we do all of the assignment regarding our false instructions. Now, I stop and read the instructions every 20 min in an assignment lol.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment