Figuring Out Buyer Behavior No. 1
The segment of people I decided to interview were people who travel long distances around campus. The first person I interviewed was a freshman who lives in Beaty Towers and is taking 5 classes. The second person I interviewed was a third year student who lived in looking glass apartment, across from the campus on University Drive. The third person I interviewed was a transfer student who lived in Murphree Hall..
From all three interviews, I gathered that people travel around campus throughout the day, based on their classes and other activities they participate in. When I asked them where is the farthest location around campus that they go to, two of my interviewees answered that Southwest Rec. Another answered from his apartment across University Drive to the New Physics Building. When I asked them how often they travel this, the two students who go to Southwest Rec. said that they go to that gym between 2-4 times a week, and the other student goes the the physics building 3 times a week for his class.
Currently the students who go to Southwest Rec. either take the bus or hitch a ride with a friend as neither of them have a car or scooter. They have the need and a solution, however they agree that the solution is not always the best. When I told them about my ride sharing system they agreed they would utilized it more often than the bus as they would not have to walk to a bus stop and wait there.
The other students says he walks to the New Physics Building whenever he has class. However, he says he has been late to class many times as it is an 8:00 lecture hall and he oversleeps often. When I ask him what he does to solve this, he answered that he would just be late for class.
Throughout all of the interviews, it is apparent that some have solutions, but they are not the best. One of the interviewees has no current solution to his problem. Two of the interviewees say they rely on others for rides or use public transportation such as the bus. The cons of their current solution is that it is not convenient for them. The other student does not have a solution for his problem of running late to class. Overall, it is clear that this segment of people would benefit with the cheap, convenience, and fast transportation service I plan on providing.
I had to watch the lecture to understand what the professor really wanted us to answer in this assignment. There are 5 steps to the buyer behavior process. He wanted us to focus on the first two, which is when they knew they had the need and how they started searching for the solution. You jumped a bit ahead and talked about what they currently use. I think you will have a head start though on future assignments if we talk about the other steps in the process.
ReplyDeleteHey Czar, I've been reading most of your blog posts, and I don't think this one really added any new information. I think that may mean that your interviews weren't in-depth enough. It could also mean that there wasn't any new information to learn, but in a budding business, that seems unlikely. Next time maybe try giving your interviewees hypothetical questions and seeing what their answers to those are. Maybe it may give you some more info to work with that will help improve your business.
ReplyDelete