Testing the Hypothesis, Part 2
- Who: As I stated in my previous
post, my target customer were people within or around college campuses
that needed quick transportation. After interviewing more people
within the University of Florida, I discovered that there is a group of
people who share common characteristics with my target audience yet fall
outside my opportunity. These people are those who own scooters, bikes,
electric skateboards, or any other quick mode of transportation.
- Those who own scooters would
fit in the employee category rather than the customer category since my
service was to provide transportation using scooters.
- My transportation service
specifically targets those that need quick transportation to fairly close
destinations - within or nearby college campuses where scooters can
travel. Therefore, people who own bikes, electric skateboards, and other
quick mode of transportation would be less inclined to use the service.
- Out of the five people I
interviewed one owned a scooter and two owned bikes.
- What: The need i am trying to solve
differs from the need in which people need to travel greater distances. My
opportunity only falls within the boundaries of college campuses. Since it
would rely on scooters as a mode of transportation, the destinations
cannot be too far off college campuses.
- Why: The underlying cause is the
same. My opportunity depends on whether customers are constrained by time
or effort - if they do not to need to get there fast or do not mind the
walk.
Inside the Boundary
|
Outside the Boundary
|
|
Who:
|
People who need quick and cheap transportation.
|
People who already own a means of quick transportation
|
What:
|
To get somewhere that is within campuses
|
To get somewhere farther
|
Why:
|
It matters whether the person needs to get there soon, or does not want
to exhaust physical energy by going there.
|
|
Hey Czar,
ReplyDeleteSo I was actually on campus last week and had this exact issue. I had to park across campus, and knew I wasn't going to make it to class on time. I think another group of people who might be outside of your market are actually people TOO short on time. I was actually walking (basically jogging) to class and thinking about your pitch since I had read last week's post from you, and thought that even if I had called a scooter right when I arrived, it might have taken too long to get to me. That may not have been true, but response time when called (like under 2 minutes) is going to be really important to your business, and the viability of that is something to think about.