Forming An Opportunity Belief
I find that during very hot days, when I’m walking in between classes, I crave a drink to quench my thirst. The majority of water fountains within the University of Florida are placed inside buildings, which is out of the way when I’m walking outside. There should be water fountains placed throughout the outdoor portion of the campus.
This unmet need affects everyone that walks around the university campus. The need has existed for a while, from my first day on campus in 2017 until now, I have never seen a water fountain outside a building. Currently, the most common way people deal with this problem is by bringing water bottles or buying drinks from vending machines. I do not see this as a solution, rather a compromise; people still need to go into buildings to use vending machines or to refill their bottles. Currently I am 90% sure that this opportunity exists.
Interviews:
Student 1: Tristian
How often do you walk around the outdoor portion of campus?
“Almost Everyday. I have classes in the afternoon every weekday.”
Do you ever find yourself thirsty while being outdoors?
“Yea, especially in the afternoon while the sun is out.”
How often do you feel thirsty while outside?
“I don’t have a specific number, but I’m thirsty while walking from class to class”
Have you ever been really thirsty and not had anything to drink and how often does this happen?
“Yes, but not too often”
Do you carry around a water bottle or any drinks?
“Yes, I have a refillable bottle in by bag”
How often do you usually fill up your water bottle and where do you fill it up (if you carry a water bottle around)?
“I usually try to refill it after every class… I just look for a water fountain around the class”
Do you feel that having water fountains in outdoor areas would benefit you?
“Yes, if i ever forget my bottle or forget to refill it, that’d be useful”
Student 2: Jhon
How often do you walk around the outdoor portion of campus?
“A lot, like all the time.”
Do you ever find yourself thirsty while being outdoors?
“Yes, i guess.”
How often do you feel thirsty while outside?
“Not that much, I usually don’t even drink that much water.”
Have you ever been really thirsty and not had anything to drink and how often does this happen?
“Yea, but it rarely happens.”
Do you carry around a water bottle or any drinks?
“Nah.”
How often do you usually fill up your water bottle and where do you fill it up (if you carry a water bottle around)?
Not Applicable
Do you feel that having water fountains in outdoor areas would benefit you?
“Yea, but I probably wouldn’t use them that often.”
Student 3: Joanna
How often do you walk around the outdoor portion of campus?
“Often, to and fro class everyday.”
Do you ever find yourself thirsty while being outdoors?
“Yes.”
How often do you feel thirsty while outside?
“Almost always.”
Have you ever been really thirsty and not had anything to drink and how often does this happen?
“I guess, pretty often.”
Do you carry around a water bottle or any drinks?
“Yes, I have a pink clinique bottle.”
How often do you usually fill up your water bottle and where do you fill it up (if you carry a water bottle around)?
“Once a day, in my dorm.”
Do you feel that having water fountains in outdoor areas would benefit you?
“Yes, i would be less dehydrated.”
Reflection:
What I learned was that most people, unlike me, carry around water bottles. Only one other student did not carry around a water bottle. The most surprising thing was that the majority of students I talked to didn’t really have the problem as often as I do.
Summary:
After interviewing possible customers I feel that the opportunity if definitely still there. The majority of students did not feel they had the problem often; however, they agree that having outdoor water fountains would benefit them. Having the ability to refill water bottles outside would be more convenient. Entrepreneurs should definitely adapt their ideas based on customer feedback. Ultimately, it is our goal as entrepreneurs to supply to the customers’ demand. Open mindedness provides insight that will help develop the opportunity.
I am surprised at the students who do not carry a bottle or only refill it once. I am in North Florida and my kids even carry their own bottles, purchase extra water at lunch, and utilize water fountains around their school. Like you, they would love more outdoor water fountains, especially near the playground and PE building. If you continue to pursuit this opportunity I would interview different demographics around campus to find who actually has a need for outdoor water fountains. From your current interviews I would not assume they would use them as they stated they don’t have a high need for them. Remember, Dr. Pryor stressed we cannot create a need for customers. I agree with you that the need is still there, just with a different population.
ReplyDeleteHey Czar! I find using a refillable water bottle very environmentally friendly and easier for consumers. But I do agree, there isn't enough out door water fill up stations outside around campus. I walk everywhere, because having a car here in Gainesville is too expensive and it's frustrating to find parking spots, plus walking is good for health and to get a tan! My walk to work takes 20-25 minutes and is unbearable in the summer, but cold water helps. It would be nice to have outdoor water fill ups, but that would cause for a lot of bacteria, dirt, and bugs to get in or around the faucet, which isn't good. I personally don't mind the indoor fill ups, and gives me a little bit of AC before heading out on my trek in the Florida heat.
ReplyDeleteHey Czar,
ReplyDeleteI'm also in the "carry a bottle around" boat. I think the reason why the university doesn't have many fountains outside is because it's harder to maintain. Realistically, the plumbing would run basically just on the outside of the building anyway, so weighing that against the disadvantages of dirt, bugs, and debris getting in the fountain, having them outside really isn't worth it. It seems like the people you interviewed, while interested in an outside fountain, didn't really think there was a pressing need for one. Therefore, I wouldn't pursue this idea any further.