Bug List

Currently, these are some of my top pet peeves.

1. Uneven sidewalks throughout the university that make me trip when I’m riding my skateboard
Why: Normal weathering causes the sidewalks to get damaged over time, but no one seems to want to fix them.

2. Lack of Parking spots by my Apartment
Why: I live in College Park so either people are illegally parking in the spaces, or the Leasing company did not build enough parking spots .

3. It has been raining a lot in Gainesville
Why: The rain could just be due to rain season, but it has been raining a lot as of the recent years. It is most likely because of climate change.

4. There are smudges on my glasses
Why: Lenscrafters make poor quality lenses. I have gotten three pairs of glasses from them and all of them have had the same problem.

5. Closet Sliding Door comes off the rails
Why: The apartment seems to have been built recently, so I do not believe that it is due to normal usage. I believe it is because of poor construction quality by the people who installed it.

6. Lagging while playing video games
Why: I own a first generation PS4, meaning it is really old. As well, the games I play are really old, so the servers are also just as old. The combination of both causes the lag.

7. Online videos not loading up and are lagging.
Why: As a result of high network traffic, the video host servers overloaded. This causes the servers to become slow.

8. My microwave doesn’t have a handle for opening it
Why: When I moved in, the handle was already missing. It is probably the case that the last tenants broke it and the apartment company has not replaced it.

9. When i turn my shower on the bottom faucet leaks water, so the water pressure is weak
Why: The apartment seems to have been built recently, so I do not believe that it is due to normal usage. I believe it is because of poor construction quality by the people who installed it.

10. My hangers are starting to break
Why: I recently just ordered the hangers from Amazon, so they're not old at all. The reason they are breaking is because low quality materials were used to make them. You get what you pay for.

11. My laptop doesn't hold charge it has to be plugged in to work
Why: I went on a vacation and left my laptop plugged in for months. This had some negative effects to the battery causing it to not hold charge.

12. My apartment smells like dog poop and I've stepped on some
Why: Someone doesn’t pick up after their pets. Also, the apartment complex should strictly enforce people to clean up after their pets

13. My bike handlebars are dirty and make my hands all sticky
Why: When I moved back home for the summer, I left my bike at my friends garage for months. While there is was just left to sit and gather dirt.

14. My Iphone is starting to freeze up
Why: I've dropped my phone countless times, damaging the internal hardware.

15. There are a lot of ads on YouTube videos
Why: The more ads you watch, the more money YouTube makes. YouTube just wants to make as much money as possible by spamming viewers with advertisements.

16. I can’t submit my FAFSA because their website does not work properly
Why: I've been trying to submit my FAFSA renewal for months. I've tried doing it on different WiFi networks and different computers, but none have worked. So it is most likely due to poor website programming.

17. YouTube video thumbnails that are click-bait
Why: The more views a video gets, the more money the
YouTuber makes. YouTubers want to make as much money as possible

18. My PS4 keeps running out of storage space
Why: I play a lot of different games, so I just have too many games installed.

19. The sound on the left and right sides of my headphones aren’t equal
Why: Though the headphones are not new, I take care of them and have never dropped them. The cause of this is poor construction quality by the company.

20. Telemarketers keep calling my phone
Why: Telemarketers in one way or another are trying to get your money. Greed is the root of all evil.


Reflection

The hardest part of this assignment was thinking of the root of all the bugs. Thinking of the bugs themselves was easy as I am easily irritable. Overall the assignment was not too difficult.

Comments

  1. Hi Czar, you are now the second person who has complained about sidewalks. I have never physically been to the UF campus. Is this a big problem there? I agree this is a problem for students walking or riding around campus. I also noticed a theme of bugs around your apartment. I enjoy owning my own home now, but when something breaks I miss being able to call a landlord. So enjoy the perks until you move onto your next home. You did a great job expanded on why a certain problem exist other than on just a few of your bugs. I found myself stating two different reasons why something exists versus investigating one problem deeper. I had to continue reminding myself of Dr. Pryors chart from the lecture where it showed the stacks. If we continue focusing on that as you did for most of your bugs it will help us figure out how to solve problems in future assignments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Czar,

    I was really impressed with your list. I found that when I was making mine, once I started thinking about a bug, I seemed to stay fixated on related issues (such as having multiple bugs related to transportation). Your list, however, includes a nice array of bugs that hit on many more topics than mine did. I think many of the items on your list were well thought through, but others could have withstood a little more digging. For example, number 18 could have been expanded by saying something like: My PS4 keeps running out of storage space---> because I play a lot of different games, so I just have too many games installed -----> because my games get boring too quickly -----> because the story lines of the games are too dull to keep my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Czar! I noticed a lot of your bugs include old technology and poor assembly/production in products. This bugs me a lot too, not just because its frustrating to use them, but because they are wasteful. After 2 years, technology is usually out of date, and have lag and glitches that make you want to upgrade. And what do you do after your done with it? Sell it, or toss it? I find this incredibly wasteful and damaging to the planet (from adding more waste and more pollution from producing the new products). Though these are daily bugs, maybe continue looking further out and find something that has more depth to the problem/bug.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment